Eddie Bravo and Marcelo Garcia Virtual Jiu-Jitsu
Happy Holidays to everyone!
It has been a while since I posted, so I would like to update you on some stuff:
Firstly, my first-ever Charity Workshop event went great! The generosity everyone showed by coming to it, training, and giving extraordinary amounts was heart-warming! We collected tons of food, clothes, toys and cash. The donations were distributed like this:
- Food went to Family Service Society
Thanks again to everyone who participated and donated!
Now, on to Jiu-Jitsu! I posted a little while back about the new 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu site, and the updates to that site have been great, so far. Technique-wise, it is one of my favorites to visit for cool new tricks. Here is the link to the site 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu, and here is a video for a sample of the system Eddie professes:
An even more exciting site that has launched since last I posted anything is the brainchild endeavor of Marcelo Garcia and Josh Waitzkin. If you don’t know who Josh Waitzkin is, read about him! Talk about an amazing guy! You remember that movie “Searching for Bobby Fisher,” about that kid who was a chess prodigy? Josh is that kid, all grown up now, and has since become a chess world champion, Tai Chi push-hands world champion, and now a brown belt in BJJ under Marcelihno! He came up with the idea to make an interactive BJJ learning tool website based around Marcelo. Here is how they describe the site:
- Nightly access to Marcelo Garcia’s classes and sparring sessions in his brand new NYC Academy.
- Watch Marcelo teach, roll, and break down his BJJ philosophy just like you were in the school.
- A growing database of Beginner and Advanced techniques all categorized to allow for customized study based on your level and repertoire.
- An innovative navigational system, drawing technology from elite chess training, that will allow you to search for submissions, sweeps, escapes, transitions, competitive principles, all the while weaving back and forth between lessons and rolling footage.
- Watch Marcelo teach a technique you like—you are one click away from seeing all the examples of him applying that technique while rolling.
- Watch Marcelo slap in a crazy submission while sparring—one button and you can see him teach that lesson in class.
- If there is a technique you have seen in the rolling footage that is not taught in a lesson yet, send in a request and we will ask Marcelo to break it down.
Now, the site is a little pricey, in the range of $25 a month. I suspect it is worth it, but I can’t bring myself to pay that right now, because it is not where my head is in my training. But I do think it is pretty genius, so here is the link to the site MGinAction.com. And if you don’t know much about Marcelo…well, you are probably not reading a BJJ blog if you don’t know much about Marcelo…but anyway, he is multiple BJJ champion in Gi and No Gi Mundials, Abu Dhabi multiple champion, and probably owns any other highly-coveted BJJ title you can imagine. Here is a highlight video of him for your viewing pleasure, also followed by him vs Xande Ribeiro (whom is regarded by many to be the most technical BJJ competitor out there). I had to include the second one, because it is so beautiful that I thought I would cry…seriously:
Insane Marcelo Highlight:
Marcelo vs. Xande
Lastly, and something I will promote more in the near future but thought worth mentioning already, is the IQ Athletics website. My BFAM (brother from another mother) Jared Jessup has a business called IQ Athletics that deals in not only Jiu-Jitsu, but kettlebells, personal training, and other fitness/wellness endeavors. Jared is a brown belt under Royce Gracie, and an awesome Jiu-Jitsu man and teacher. His site is up here at IQAthletics.com, and will be updated more soon. On it you will be able to find contact information for Jared, find out about his services, and see other resources as well.
Here’s looking forward to an exciting new year coming up, and I will tell you my resolution in the next post!